It’s a donut frenzy! In order to come up with a moist, cake-like texture baked doughnut, I made 3 batches before I nailed it right. And the final batch of donuts turned out so good that the first 2 batches are now neglected 🙁 But it’s not a bad thing after all. Cooking and baking is all about trial and error anyway. If I fail at first attempt or just not happy with the outcome, I’ll just keep trying and trying till I get it right. Then when I’m happy with the final product, I will share it on my blog. Of course not every recipe works for everyone since we all have different taste buds and preferences but I really highly recommend these baked doughtnuts that you can try making at home. Cheap to make plus it’s healthier too because you don’t need to fry them in oil!
Baked Doughnuts Recipe
Ingredients (makes 6 large and 12 mini donuts)
1 cup cake flour
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg
6 tbsp greek yogurt
1/4 cup fresh milk
2 tbsp canola oil
melted dark chocolate as topping
colourful rice as topping
hundreds & thousands as topping
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C with fan. Lightly grease donut pans. Set aside.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
3. Combine egg, greek yogurt, milk and canola oil in another bowl. Stir in flour mixture till well combined.
4. Pipe* mixture into each cavity of the pan, ensuring it is only half filled.
5. Bake for 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted into a donut comes out clean.
6. Leave to stand for about 5 minutes before removing the donuts.
* If you don’t have a piping bag at home like me, you can use a ziploc bag and just snip off one end. As the mixture is slippery because of the use of canola oil, it makes the piping process a breeze.
To decorate these donuts? Use anything that you fancy! I melted dark chocolate (70% cocoa) in a double boiler and then dipped the donuts one-side down into the chocolate then decorated with colourful rice, chocolate rice and hundreds & thousands. I just love doing the decorating part! Fun to make, pretty to look at and tastes delicious too!
The Wilton brand of donut pans that I ordered off Amazon (read my earlier post here) were fabulous! The donuts came off easily and the pans were so easy to clean. If you’re interested in baking doughnuts, consider ordering these pans from Amazon. Certainly a great addition to your baking equipment!
Make doughnut baking a fun activity for the whole family! Enjoy!
These look divine! It’s hard to believe that they are not fried because they look so authentic. Congratulations on mastering the art and I agree with you that part of the fun of cooking is as much about the experimenting as it is about producing the final product.
Thanks! They are not as greasy and fluffy as the standard fried ones but they are moist and spongy which I like. Most of the time, I enjoy the process of cooking more than producing the final product. The latter is just a bonus 🙂 You have some great recipes there too which I just have to try out some time! Thanks again for stopping by!
love baking donuts too ! And I prefer the baked ones. This looks good with the cake flour. Will have to try!
Please do 🙂 I just did a batch of chocolate ones. Will be sharing the recipe soon 🙂