I drew inspiration from two dishes – the Tau Cheo Pork and Spiced Pork & Potato – and came up with this Braised Potatoes with Chicken Recipe that had a rich, robust flavour of good old fermented soy beans. The sauce was savoury and appetising. Definitely have to eat this with steamed rice. Yum.
Braised Chicken and Potatoes Recipe
Ingredients (serves 4-5 as one of few side dishes)
2 russet potatoes about 500g, peeled & cut into thin strips
300g boneless & skinless chicken breast meat
2 tbsp fermented soybeans (tau cheo)
3 bird’s eye chillies, sliced
4 cloves garlic, peeled & finely chopped
1/2 tbsp minced ginger
1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
2 tsp olive oil
chopped spring onions as garnish
1. Steam the chicken on high heat till cooked through. Leave to cool and reserve the steaming liquid for later.
2. Using your hands, shred the chicken breast and set aside.
3. Heat oil in pan and saute the fermented soybeans, chillies, garlic and ginger till fragrant.
4. Add the potatoes and briefly stir fry to combine.
5. Add the steaming liquid (from Step 1), water and dark soy sauce. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for about 10 minutes till potatoes are tender.
6. Mix in the shredded chicken meat followed by the sugar and wine.
7. Simmer for a few more minutes till the alcohol has evaporated.
8. Garnish with spring onions and serve with steamed rice.