Today’s weather seems rather erratic. Woke up to a morning of haze and then it began raining cats & dogs for hours. What a depressing start for a Friday.
Thought I would make something comforting, just to chase away the blues.
Gotta be a hot & piping, hearty & wholesome soup.
This is Fish Maw Soup with crab meat, carrot, shiitake and enoki mushrooms, which we will normally eat during CNY Reunion Dinner or at a Chinese restaurant. It’s actually a very easy recipe for everyday cooking so we really don’t have to wait till special occasions to enjoy this.
My Fish Maw Soup probably had more ingredients than liquid, lol. That’s exactly why it’s better to make this at home rather than having it outside because you will not get the same portion of ingredients like this. And it’s not expensive to make this pot which can feed about 5-6 people in the family as one of few side dishes.
I bought my fish maw from the Emperor Brand shop on Qoo10. S$7.90 for a 250g pack of Premium Grade A Eel Fish Maw is really very value for money and it works beautifully for this recipe. If you’re looking for an affordable fish maw option, you may want to check this out.
FISH MAW SOUP RECIPE
INGREDIENTS (serves 5-6)
- 300g dried fish maw, soaked in hot water & sliced
- 200g crab meat
- 1 carrot, peeled & julienned
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water & thinly sliced
- 200g enoki mushrooms
- 250ml scallop & chicken broth
- 1 litre water
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- fish sauce to taste
- pinch of sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch solution (combine 1 tbsp corn flour with 2 tbsp water)
- spring onions as garnish
- Combine broth and water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add carrot, shiitake mushrooms and enoki mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add fish maw and crab meat followed by the light soy sauce, fish sauce and sugar.
- Gradually pour in the corn starch solution and stir till the soup slightly thickens.
- Garnish with spring onions and serve hot.