Singapore Chilli Crab is no doubt one of our iconic local dishes. While I do like to indulge in the chilli crab from Jumbo Seafood every now and then, nothing beats the flavoursome chilli crab that my maternal grandma used to make. I came across Violet Oon’s chilli crab recipe a while ago and it inspired me to recreate the same taste of Grandma’s version. Instead of using crabs, I did prawns instead (because the husband finds crabs a hassle to eat!) and they worked perfectly well with the robust gravy that was eggy, sweet and savoury. This recipe is good for 1 regular sized mud crab if you prefer that. Enjoy!
Singapore Chilli Crab Style Prawns Recipe
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
12-15 prawns, trim whiskers & keep shells intact
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 red chilli, deseed & slice
2 stalks spring onions, cut into 1″ sections
juice of 1 small lime
Sauce: (combine in a bowl)
3 tbsp tomato ketchup
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cornflour
pinch of salt
1. Heat a little vegetable oil in pan and stir fry garlic and chilli till fragrant.
2. Add sauce and bring to a boil.
3. Slowly pour in egg in a circular motion and allow to cook through before mixing it up.
4. Add prawns and lime juice. Stir fry till prawns turn opaque.
5. Stir in spring onions and serve.
(Inspired by Violet Oon’s Chilli Crab Recipe)