There is something about steamed chicken that is so wickedly delicious because the meat is tender, juicy and succulent and we can really taste its natural sweetness too. In fact, plain steamed chicken is already good on its own without the need for any extra sauce. However for variety and a change of palates, I decided to experiment with flavours using just basic condiments in any household pantry. Not bad for a first attempt. Enjoy!
Steamed Chicken with Ginger, Garlic & Onion Sauce Recipe
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
1/2 chicken, remove skin & trim fats
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp grated ginger
4-5 slices ginger, peeled
2 stalks spring onion, cut into 2″ sections
extra spring onions as garnish
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp Shaoxing Huadiao wine
pinch of sugar
1. Place chicken in a steaming dish and scatter the spring onions and ginger slices over.
2. Steam chicken at high heat for about 20 minutes. Remove the ginger and spring onions and reserve the steaming liquid.
3. Heat a little oil in pan and stir fry onion till tender. Add minced garlic & ginger and saute till fragrant.
4. Add the ingredients for sauce and 4 tablespoons of the steaming liquid. Bring to a boil.
5. Drizzle the sauce over the chicken and steam for another 5-10 minutes till juices run clear and chicken is thoroughly cooked.
6. Garnish with spring onions and serve.