One thing I like about having steamboat for CNY reunion dinner is that the unfinished ingredients can always be chilled again for later use so nothing goes to waste. And instead of having a second steamboat the next day, we can turn the leftovers to fresh new dishes again like this steamed prawns recipe.
Steamed Prawns with Garlic Recipe
Ingredients (serves 2)
8-10 large prawns
2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 + 1 tbsp chinese cooking wine
1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
5 slices ginger
2 stalks spring onion, cut into 2″ lengths
dash of white pepper
1. Slit along the back of the prawns to make a cavity but keep the shells and heads intact. Remove veins and trim feelers.
2. Line a steaming dish with ginger slices and half of the spring onions.
3. Arrange the prawns on top and drizzle 1 tbsp of chinese cooking wine over them.
4. Mix garlic, 1 tbsp of chinese cooking wine, soy sauce, sesame oil and pepper in a bowl. Fill each prawn cavity with the garlic mixture.
5. Steam over high heat for a few minutes till prawns turn opaque. Garnish with the remaining spring onions and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Noob Cook
Steaming is a fantastic (and hassle-free) way to cook prawns so you can taste the crisp and natural sweetness. It really just takes a short while to steam them so I suggest turning off the heat the moment you see the prawns turning opaque. For those who don’t really like the overpowering taste of garlic, you can skip the garlic and just steam the prawns plain which are just as fresh and good! Bon appetit!