After I had tried making stuffed portobello mushrooms earlier this week, I’m now attempting to make stuffed bell peppers. Lunches are really getting interesting for me these days. It is just amazing how many vegetables out there we can make use of to create happy comfort food out of them. One walk down the vegetables aisle of the supermarket already gave me tons of new ideas!
I picked red peppers for this as I like the colour plus I think they do taste sweeter than the others too which will be good to balance out that sharpness of cheddar cheese.
Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe
Ingredients (serves 1-2)
2 red bell peppers
100g minced beef
1 onion, finely chopped
6-8 cherry tomatoes, diced
2 heaped tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground cumin
salt & freshly cracked black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C with fan. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Heat a little olive oil in pan and saute the garlic and onions till fragrant. Add the minced beef and use the spatula to break up lumps if any.
3. Add the garlic powder, paprika and cumin. Season with a little salt and pepper.
4. Turn off the heat and stir in the diced tomatoes.
5. With a knife, slice off the top of each bell pepper where the stem is and scoop the beef mixture into the cavity.
6. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top and transfer to the baking tray.
7. Bake for 10 minutes till the cheese has melted.
A cross-section of the stuffed pepper where you can see the layers of pepper, meat and cheese. If you like yours to be more cheesy, just add cheese at the bottom of the cavity too or mix it in with the beef mixture. I would love to do that but I’m watching my diet as cheese is very high in calories. Enjoy the recipe!