I don’t remember eating a hot & sour curry in Thailand or any Thai restaurant before so when I saw this Maepranom Brand’s Hot and Sour Curry Paste, I just had to grab one to try.
This hot and sour curry tasted pretty unique because the spice paste contained shrimp paste so overall, it was on the fishy side. I wouldn’t really call this a curry because it didn’t have any cream or coconut milk to add body to it and it was very much like a seafood/vegetable soup that was packed with a lot of flavours.
Not my favourite of all Maepranom Brand’s curry pastes but if you’re looking for something different from the usual curries, it’s still worth trying this.
For those of you residing in Singapore, you can get this brand of curry paste at the Thai Supermarket @ Golden Mile Complex.
THAI STYLE HOT AND SOUR CURRY RECIPE
INGREDIENTS (serves 2-3)
- 1 pack 50g Maepranom Hot and Sour Curry Paste
- 300g assortment of seafood (fish, prawns & squids)
- 180g canned button mushrooms, halved
- 800ml water
- 3 tbsp palm sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 150g cauliflower, cut into florets
- 130g long beans, sliced into 1″ sections
- tamarind juice (mix 1 tbsp tamarind with 1/4 cup water)
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add curry paste and stir to mix.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer till all the seafood is cooked through and cauliflower/long beans are tender.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and enjoy!