This dish is like chicken braised in a minestrone-like soup. It’s tangy, sweet and fresh which really refreshes the palate. I served it with a simple and healthy quinoa which you can pair separately or alternatively, add them into the stew itself for a wholesome one pot meal.
Tomato Chicken Stew with Quinoa and Chickpeas
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
150g quinoa, rinsed
2 stalks spring onion, finely chopped
1 can chickpeas 400g, drained
juice of 1/2 lemon
8 chicken drumsticks
1 can diced tomatoes 411g (no salt added)
1 yellow onion, peeled & cut into eighths
1 red pepper, deseeded & cut into chunks
1 green pepper, deseeded & cut into chunks
400ml hot chicken stock (or combine 1 chicken stock cube with 400ml hot water)
salt to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Combine quinoa and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer for about 15 minutes till quinoa is cooked. Fluff up the quinoa with a fork and mix with the chopped spring onions, chickpeas and lemon juice. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in pan and stir fry the onions and peppers briefly.
3. Add the diced tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
4. Add the chicken drumsticks and allow to simmer for about 20-25 minutes till drumsticks are cooked through.
5. Season with salt to taste and serve with the quinoa.