I had a pretty decent Fried Beef Kway Teow at Maggie Thai & Chinese @ Liang Seah Street. It was moist with a lot of wok hei flavour just like our regular Char Kway Teow but somehow I felt it could be more balanced with a little less sweetness to it.
I adjusted the amount of seasonings used in my Char Kway Teow Recipe to kinda replicate it for this recipe in which I used less kecap manis so the savoury taste could stand out more. I could have added bean sprouts for that extra crunch but I used only chye sim this time. Simple ingredients with big flavours; an economical tze char meal that’s so easy to make. Enjoy my Fried Beef Kway Teow Recipe!
Fried Beef Kway Teow Recipe
Ingredients (serves 2)
400g kway teow (flat rice noodles)
200g beef tenderloin, sliced
200g chye sim, sliced into 1″ sections
1 tsp minced garlic
3 tbsp water
1/2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
Marinate for beef:
1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
1 tsp cornflour
dash of sesame oil
1. Marinate beef and set aside for 15 minutes.
2. Heat a little oil in pan till very hot and sear the beef slices briefly till lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
3. In the same pan, saute garlic till fragrant. Add chye sim and water and quick fry for 30 seconds over high heat.
4. Add the rice noodles, fish sauce, dark soy sauce and kecap manis. Stir fry the noodles to ensure they are well coated in the seasonings.
5. Return the cooked beef to the pan and stir fry thoroughly till everything is well combined.