Kung Pao dishes need no further introduction. They are so common and easily available at Chinese takeaways and restaurants.
I have shared two Kung Pao recipes previously:
And this time, I’ve made another vegetarian version with lotus root and other vegetables.
The crunch of the vegetables and cashew nuts really stood out and as usual, the sauce was spicy, savoury and sour which was just appetising. More rice please! 🙂
Kung Pao Lotus Root Recipe
Ingredients (serves 3-4 as one of few side dishes)
20 dried chillies, soaked in warm water for 20 minutes & sliced into halves
1 yellow onion, peeled & sliced into wedges
200g lotus root, peeled & thinly sliced
1 small carrot, peeled & sliced
100g long beans, cut into 1″ sections
3/4 cup roasted cashew nuts
2 tsp sunflower oil
For the sauce: (combine in a bowl)
3 tbsp Chinkiang black vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
1 tsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp water
1. Heat oil in pan and saute the onions and chillies till fragrant.
2. Add the lotus root and carrot and stir fry for 1 minute.
3. Add in the long beans, briefly stir fry and pour in the sauce.
4. Stir fry thoroughly till everything is coated in the sauce.
5. Stir in the cashew nuts and serve.