My mum recently gave me a huge packet of dried shiitake mushrooms which I had enjoyed cooking with as they were so plump and juicy. I steamed a fish with them in Teochew-style, stir-fried them with vegetables and even braised them to make minced meat noodles. Definitely tasted so much better than the usual chinese mushrooms I get. With my last bit of mushrooms left, I decided to go west and make some meatballs to nibble on. The mushrooms really imparted a lovely aroma to the chicken meat and the meatballs just tasted good on their own, plain without gravy. A great recipe to make for the family – I’m sure kids would love these 🙂 Enjoy!
Chicken & Mushroom Meatball Recipe
Ingredients (makes 12-15 balls)
250g minced chicken
6 dried shiitake mushrooms
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp milk
3 tbsp panko bread crumbs
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt & freshly cracked black pepper
vegetable oil for pan-frying
1. Soak the dried mushrooms in hot water for at least 20 minutes. Trim off the stems and slice thinly.
2. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, sliced mushrooms, egg, milk, panko and garlic powder and stir till thoroughly mixed. Season with salt and pepper.
3. With slightly moist hands, roll the meatball mixture into round balls of your desired size and transfer onto a plate lined with parchment paper.
4. In a pan, heat some vegetable oil and pan-fry the meatballs till golden brown.
5. Serve with sides of your choice.
Dip them into sweet chilli sauce or mayonnaise, they’re just yummy! 🙂